Sunday 8 May 2011

Thanks for Thorns

          


To give thanks in every situation is sometimes very difficult. When our bodies are wrecked by pain, or we have just learned that we have a physical problem for which there is no cure, or we have lost our job, or a cherished relationship has been broken, we don't feel grateful. But we can learn to thank God because He gives us strength when we feel weak.

That's why the apostle Paul could say, "I take pleasure in infirmities....in distresses, for Christ's sake." And as believers, we can be grateful that through such experiences God is accomplishing what is best for us. Even though suffering He is working for our good (Rom. 8:28)

Scottish author and preacher George Matheson, who was blind, expressed this prayer : I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my "Thorn"...Teach me the glory of my cross; teach me the value of my 'thorn'. Show me that I have climbed to Thee by the path of pain. Show we that my tears have made my rainbows."

As we surrender ourselves to the Lord and remember that He is working in everything to accomplish our ultimate good, we can thank Him even when we are pierced by 'thorns'.

                         We give thanks for everything
                         And say, "Your will be done"
                         For God's at work in everything
                          To make us like His son.

WE LESSEN THE PAIN OF SUFFERING WHEN WE LEARN THE LESSON OF GRATITUDE.





No comments:

Post a Comment